Greene Tweed Wear & Abrasion Solutions
Greene Tweed Wear & Abrasion Solutions
At Chalmers & Kubeck, we make a difference you can see right away. In addition to our wide range of services, we offer Greene Tweed products to enhance the performance and longevity of your engineered pumps and compressors through the use of carbon fiber composite components. These innovative materials are used to manufacture bearings, bushings, case rings, wear rings, and labyrinth seals designed to resist damage from wear, abrasion, chemicals, impact, vibration, and thermal shock over a wide range of temperatures and pressures. In many cases, these materials also allow a reduction in running clearances by around 50% which maximizes rotor stability (reduced vibration) and decreases internal recirculation (increased efficiency).
We can sell you these carbon fiber composites directly as billets or tubes, machine parts to your specification using these unique materials, or partner with you to upgrade your compressors and pumps whether they’re horizontal or vertical in design. We generate value for your organization by optimizing rotating equipment performance. The increase in operational uptime allows you to focus more on your core business whether that’s chemical manufacturing, petroleum refining, pipeline / distribution, power generation, or water desalination.
Enhance Durability With Greene Tweed Thrust Pads, Wear Rings, and More
With few exceptions, Greene Tweed wear and abrasion solutions are superior to their metallic or rubber counter parts (bronze bushings, bronze bearings, water lubricated rubber rubber bearings, metallic case and wear rings, ceramic thrust pads, etc.). If you need to pump challenging process fluids (abrasive, corrosive, high temperature, reactive, etc.), or if equipment downtime is disrupting your supply or eroding your bottom line, we can help. C&K will partner with you to understand your challenges and will help you select the right product(s) for your application which may include composite bushings, composite thrust pads, or composite bearings from Greene Tweed.
General Wear Solutions
Greene Tweed bushings, case rings, wear rings, and carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastics are designed to protect high-speed equipment from the effects of wear and tear, which saves you money and extends the life of your equipment. Greene Tweed wear and abrasion solutions include:
- WR® 300: Designed for general-purpose wear applications, WR® 300 is composed of PEEK reinforced with short random carbon fibers (subzero to 275F). This product provides excellent chemical resistance with non-galling / non-seizing properties to help increase service life in clean wet or lubricated environments. Typical applications include stationary pump bushings and case rings.
- WR® 525: Designed for high temperature and pressure environments, WR® 525 is composed of PEEK reinforced with continuous hoop wound carbon fibers (subzero to 525F). This product provides excellent chemical resistance with non-galling / non-seizing properties to help increase service life in clean wet or lubricated environments. Typical applications include bushing, case rings, and impeller wear rings.
- WR® 575: Designed for high load applications using the existing media for lubications, WR® 575 thrust pads are composed of PEEK reinforced with carbon fiber sheets (subzero to 480F). Typical thrust pad applications include high speed pumps, compressors, and turbines. These pads will not crack or wear into fine powder like carbon or ceramic thrust pads.
Dry-run conditions often found during equipment start-up or during process upsets can be detrimental to the performance of your equipment. You can reduce the risk of damage with our Greene Tweed dry-run materials:
- WR® 600: Designed to protect against unintended dry run conditions, WR® 600 is composed of PFA reinforced with carbon fiber (subzero to 500F) and conforms to API 610 requirements for non-metallic wear applications. This product provides near universal chemical resistance with non-galling / non-seizing properties to help increase service life in clean wet or lubricated environments. Typical applications include stationary pump bushings and case rings.
- WR® 650: Designed to protect against unintended but prolonged dry run conditions, WR® 650 is the next generation PFA composite reinforced with a woven 3-D carbon fiber architecture (subzero to 500F). This product provides near universal chemical resistance with non-galling / non-seizing properties to help increase service life in clean wet or lubricated environments. Typical applications include stationary pump bushings and case rings. Due to the unique three-dimensional carbon fiber reinforcement, the dry run performance of WR® 650 is 2.5 times higher than other PFA composites.
In power generation and desalination applications, pumped water often contains sand, silt, and other abrasives that significantly degrade pump components in relationship to the amount of entrained solids. Other applications where slurry or sludges are pumped pose similar challenges to equipment operability over time. Greene Tweed Abrasion-Resistant materials help protect rotating elements from damaging abrasives:
- AR® 1: Designed to protect against media containing abrasives, AR® 1 (Abrasion Resistant) is manufactured using filled PTFE (subzero to 120F). This product is less harsh to mating hardware compared to competing materials. Typical applications include vertical pump bearings.
- AR® HT: Designed to protect against media containing abrasives, AR® HT (Abrasion Resistant-High Temperature) is manufactured using a proprietary blend of PTFE and PEEK (subzero to 250F). This product is less harsh to mating hardware compared to competing materials and offers increased abrasion resistance compared to AR® 1. Typical applications include vertical pump bearings.
Why Buy Greene Tweed Wear & Abrasion Solutions?
In almost every industrial application, equipment down time, whether for planned maintenance or unplanned maintenance (forced outage), costs a considerable amount of money while disrupting service and/or supply. When you need your rotating equipment to function better under harsh conditions and to function longer between maintenance intervals, you need innovative materials and solutions from Greene Tweed and C&K to get you there. In addition to increasing overall performance, many of these thermoplastic composites are “sacrificial” and will minimize equipment damage (galling and seizing) during process upset conditions enabling you to get back up and running again a whole lot faster when the unexpected happens.
Contact C&K Today
C&K is the regional distributor for high-quality Greene Tweed products and your one-stop shop for reliable manufacturing solutions. Our OEM products help you make the most of your industrial equipment by maximizing each component’s lifecycle. Contact us today for more information about our solutions.
- AMETEK / US Gauge
- Greene Tweed
- Velan Power Generation